As part of the automaker’s bid for for carbon neutrality, Honda has announced plans to release the Prologue, a full battery-electric midsize SUV launching in early 2024. The company said it also plans to release more high-trim electric hybrid versions of core models in Canada as and when current models are redesigned, with no plans for plug-in hybrid variants.
Honda global CEO Toshihiro Mibe announced in late April plans for the company to achieve carbon neutrality for its products and operations by 2050. Along the way, it intends for North American auto sales to be 40 per cent electric (both battery and hydrogen fuel cell) by 2030, 80 per cent by 2035, and 100 per cent by 2040.
Honda has been selling gas-electric hybrid cars almost as long as Toyota. It built several hundred copies of the experimental EV Plus in the late 1990s, and soon after became the first automaker to put a hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicle in the hands of consumers. It has also long achieved the highest fleet fuel economy of any full-line automaker in North America.
But even as the climate crisis has loomed ever larger, Honda has been outpaced in recent years by many other automakers in both its recent sales of electrified vehicles and its announced goals for more of them in future. In addition, hydrogen fuel cell vehicles are slowly losing the fight against the much more popular battery electric vehicle (BEV), which is what most consumers nowadays understand to be an electric car.
While noting that a good experience with hybrids makes consumers more comfortable transitioning to full BEVs, Honda Canada president and CEO Jean Marc Leclerc said there are no immediate plans to bring to Canada the hybrid version of its top-selling nameplate, the CR-V, even though it already exists south of the border. Canada’s CR-V Hybrid will await the launch of the next generation CR-V, due late next year as a 2023 model.
The next nameplates due for a full model change are expected to be the HR-V subcompact and Pilot midsize crossovers, which both underwent their last full model changes in the 2016 model year. The Accord midsize sedan (which does currently include a hybrid version) and Odyssey minivan were last redesigned for the 2018 model year, which, based on Honda’s usual six-year life cycle, would make them due for complete redesigns in 2024.
Questions still remain for the Honda Civic, which has just been redesigned for 2022 with only gas engines. Also still be seen is at what point existing models will transition directly to electric, bypassing the intermediate stage of gas-engine-with-hybrid option completely.
Like the current Honda Pilot, the 2024 Prologue (and an Acura sister vehicle due later in calendar 2024) is likely to be a midsize SUV. It will be based on Honda’s joint venture with GM that also spawned the upcoming Cadillac Lyriq, and will use the same GM-developed Ultium batteries.
The Prologue, Honda says, will be “highly competitive, with the functionality expected by Honda customers.” More details are promised over the coming months.
Meanwhile, Honda is developing its own e:Architecture that will be the foundation of additional EVs coming to Canada in the second half of this decade. At the same time, Honda hopes to transition to its own solid-state batteries that are expected to significantly lower the current cost and range barriers to EV adoption.
Despite all this, the Prologue won’t be Honda’s first series-production EV of the modern era. The Honda e, a tiny city car, went on sale in Japan and other markets last year, and Honda will debut a BEV in China next year.
Chances appear slim that those vehicles will ever make it to Canada. “The e has been designed for another part of the world,” said Leclerc. “You never say ‘never,’ but people are not prepared to compromise on what they need for their vehicles, which is trucks. We won’t eliminate passenger cars, which are strongly implanted in the Honda DNA (but) we need to give people what they want in an electrified version.”
#ISPYTHECIVIC is back and better than ever with chances to win $100 daily and a grand prize weekend on us in Toronto!
How to Enter
Enjoy the Civic long weekend with the all new 2022 Honda Civic!
- Follow our Facebook and Instagram to enter contest and see where we will be!
- Find our for the remainder of the month of July (9th-30th) around #ptbo and take a selfie to be entered to win $100 Daily!!!!
- Post a selfie on Facebook or Instagram with the Civic and use the hashtag #ispythecivic and tag @trentvalleyhonda on to enter! Winners will be selected daily!
- All those who enter will be placed in a draw to win the grand prize! A weekend away in Toronto with the all new civic! Including 2 nights at Fairmont Royal York and Dinner on us! Grand prize draw will take place July 30th *
*Please see contest rules for full details
Grand Prize Rules:
Grand Prize: There will be (1) “Grand Prize” available to be won, one weekend (72 Hours) with 2022 Honda Civic Touring (Model FE1F9NKN), 2 nights at Fairmont Royal (In the form of two $250 Gift cards), Dinner at the Keg ($100 Gift Card), Dinner at Oliver & Bonnicini ($250 Gift Card). Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the following general conditions apply to the Grand Prize: (i) Grand Prize must be accepted as awarded and is not transferable, assignable or convertible to cash (except as may be specifically permitted by Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion); (ii) no substitutions except at Sponsor’s option; (iii) Sponsor reserves the right at any time to substitute the Grand Prize or a component thereof for any reason with a prize or prize component(s) of equal or greater retail value (iv) colour and other specifics of the Grand Prize will be at the sole and absolute discretion of the Sponsor and subject to availability (v) upon notification, the confirmed Grand Prize winner may, in the sole and absolute discretion of the sponsor, be required to personally take delivery of the Grand Prize from the Sponsor’s dealership and will be required to present adequate personal identification; (vi) Grand Prize will not be released unless and until the confirmed Grand Prize winner first shows proof (in a form acceptable to the Sponsor) of having a valid driver’s license (equivalent to a full G class license in Ontario) and proof of satisfactory insurance; (vii) confirmed Grand Prize winner is solely responsible for all expenses that are not included in the Grand Prize description above, including, but not limited to, registration and license fees, insurance, additional accessories and all other costs associated with: (a) any upgrade or option package(s) that he/she may request (and that may be permitted by Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion); and/or (b) obtaining a valid driver’s license, insurance and/or fuel. FOR THE AVOIDANCE OF ANY DOUBT, THE GRAND PRIZE CONSISTS OF THE USE OF THE VEHICLE FOR 72 HOURS, UNDER THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE SPONSOR.
- New Honda Prologue to go on sale in North America in MY2024 as highly competitive SUV with functionality expected by Honda customers
- “Prologue” model name symbolizes 1st in a new series of volume Honda BEV models
- Honda targets 100% of auto sales in North America to be full electric by 2040
MARKHAM, ON, June 28, 2021 /CNW/ – Honda today announced that its first new volume battery-electric vehicle will be named “Prologue,” signalling a new electrified era that will lead to the company’s vision for 100% zero emission vehicle sales in North America by 2040.
An all-new SUV coming to market in early 2024, the battery-electric Honda Prologue will be highly competitive with the functionality expected by Honda customers. More specific details about the new vehicle will be released over the coming months, and Honda will engage with prospective EV customers throughout the launch starting with a new webpage at https://www.honda.ca/en/future-vehicles/prologue.
In addition to the Honda Prologue, the company will introduce an all-electric Acura SUV in the 2024 calendar year. Both will utilize the highly flexible global EV platform powered by Ultium batteries based on the company’s strategic partnership with General Motors. Honda also plans to launch a new series of EV models in the second half of the decade based on a new e:Architecture, with development led by Honda.
“The Honda Prologue is our first volume BEV that will be a catalyst to our ongoing path to electrification and our global goal of a zero emissions future,” said Jean Marc Leclerc, President and CEO of Honda Canada. “The Prologue is a battery-electric SUV that will provide our Canadian customers with what they expect from Honda; an exciting, reliable, safe and fun to drive vehicle.”
In April 2021, Honda global CEO, Toshihiro Mibe, announced a vision to achieve carbon-neutrality for its products and corporate activities by 2050, including key targets for sales of electrified vehicles. This vision calls for the sales ratio of battery-electric and fuel cell electric vehicles in North America to progress from 40% by 2030 and 80% by 2035 to 100% by 2040. More details about that announcement, are available here.
As Honda prepares for the launch of Prologue, the company will introduce hybrid-electric systems to more core and volume models to continue to reduce CO2 emissions and bridge customers to the volume battery-electric vehicles now in development.
We are open!
We are open in the Sales, Service and Parts department’s of the dealership! Our Service Drive is open and offering the choice of a “no personal contact” OR “in-person” experience. (see below). Currently we are able to offer indoor and outdoor waiting by appointment only, with limited spaces. We strongly encourage using our shuttle or valet service or having someone pick you up from the dealership after dropping your vehicle off for service. Our Shuttle is available by appointment, as we have limited space (one person/family at a time) available. We will do our best to accommodate you if you can specify your needs at the time of appointment booking.
Our Showroom is open by appointment only, operating Monday – Thursday from 9am – 7pm, Friday and Saturday 9am – 5pm. Appointments are not necessary but are always encouraged so we can have your vehicle of interest ready and disinfected before your arrival. Our protocols to ensure everyone’s safety are in place (see below).
- Please book your service appointment online or by calling us at 705 740 0036 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please specify whether you will drop off your vehicle using the contactless service option, or you will check in your vehicle in the service drive area.
- If you are checking in in the drive-through, please pull your car up to the service drive entrance doors, please wait in your vehicle until the bay doors open. We are limiting the number of customers in our service department to two at a time. Once inside you will be greeted by our Service Concierge to check-in. Please pull up to the advisor pod as instructed by the Concierge. Turn off your vehicle and your climate control. Give the mileage and any maintenance minder codes to the service advisor. Leave your keys in the vehicle to be sanitized. Please exit out the east side of the building.
- If you are using our contactless service drop off, please park your vehicle for service at the front east curb or in the service parking lot on the east side of the building, and refrain from using the Drive through car entrance at this time. Please use the RED locked drop-box outside, located beside the front-drive through door entrance (please use a sealed envelope as provided) Providing your cell phone number would be a great assistance to us. We will be checking the lockbox regularly and would suggest you call us to let us know that your keys and vehicle have been dropped off. A Service Advisor will take your call in if available, or call you back, once the keys and vehicle are sanitized, and has been brought into service. We will finalize the details of your service needs and keep in touch with you by phone or text if you prefer.
- We will finalize completion, and sanitize the vehicle and keys again, and park the vehicle outside for you, confirming where you would prefer your keys to be left. Payments can be paid online or with a mobile phone using our AutoPay feature, or over the phone with a credit card.
Our Parts department is open and you can enter through the east entrance of the dealership. Our Tire Store is online at www.tvhonda.com, or reach our Parts staff by calling direct to 705 748 9181, or emailing email@example.com.
- Our showroom is open! Appointments are not necessary but are always encouraged. To pre-book a sales appointment so we can serve you in person – please call (705) 748-2777, or text us at (705) 996-2035, or click the live chatbox on our website.
- We are here to provide you information, pricing, or a virtual vehicle inventory walk or walk around if you prefer to do your research from home. You can buy a vehicle totally online if you choose.
- We are able to offer virtual appointment options where a member of our sales team can meet with you via a video chat platform to show you vehicles or to discuss options with you.
- We are happy to arrange a test drive or vehicle appraisal for trade-in with sanitizing measures in place, but we will not be accompanying customers at this time. We are also able to bring a vehicle to you or pick up your trade for appraisal by appointment as well. You can also book a test drive and request a trade appraisal on our website.
- We offer a secure credit application online on our website as well.
We appreciate your patronage and respectful support of our new protocols and staff. Details may change as the situation continues to evolve so please stay tuned for further updates. We will continue to update our Facebook page as well and communicate through text messaging when possible.
Please stay safe and healthy everyone!
Monika Carmichael & Frankie Mandeljc
And the Team at Trent Valley Honda
11th generation of Honda’s longest running nameplate starts production in Alliston, Ontario
Honda of Canada Mfg. has been building Civic continuously for 33 years, longer than any other Honda plant in the world currently producing Civic
Most fun to drive and technologically advanced Civic in model’s nearly 50-year history
All-new Civic Hatchback will follow the Civic Sedan to market in the coming months, to be built in the U.S. for the first time ever
2022 Civic Sedan arriving to Honda dealerships in North America this summer
Alliston, ON. May 4, 2021 – Arriving at dealerships in North America this summer, Honda has officially commenced production of the all-new, 2022 Honda Civic Sedan at Honda of Canada Mfg. (HCM) in Alliston, Ontario.
The all-new 2022 Honda Civic boasts a clean, modern design paired with a high-tech, human-centered interior, and is equipped with advanced active and passive safety systems. Revealed on April 28, the 11th generation Civic continues the tradition of innovation, design leadership and class-leading driving dynamics, and will be built by skilled and experienced production associates using a number of new state-of-the-art processes.
Continuing 35 Years of North American Manufacturing
Civic has been built in North America for 35 years with nearly 11 million units produced in the U.S. and Canada. HCM has been building the Honda Civic Sedan continuously for 33 years, longer than any other Honda plant in the world currently producing Civic. The 11th-generation will continue that legacy with production of the Civic Sedan in Alliston, Ontario, and for the first time, the Civic Hatchback will be manufactured in the U.S., at the company’s Greensburg, Indiana plant. All Civic production in North America will use domestic and globally-sourced parts.
As Honda’s longest-running automotive nameplate, North Americans have purchased more than 14.2 million Civics since 1973. Every Honda Civic Sedan sold in Canada is manufactured at HCM, Civic is the best-selling passenger car in Canada for 23 straight years and one of the top three best-selling passenger cars in America over the past 48 years. With sales of more than 1.65 million units over the last five years, Civic has been the No. 1 model in the U.S. – car or light truck – with first-time buyers, Millennials, Gen Z and multicultural customers, since the launch of the 10th-gen model in 2015.
The all-new Civic marks a renewed focus on core Honda design values, with a more simple and clean interior design, a direction that also will shape the design of future Honda models. This human-centered approach draws upon Honda’s classic “Man Maximum/Machine Minimum” philosophy that maximizes cabin space for people, while minimizing space required for mechanical components.
“What we have accomplished with the Honda Civic, is taking it to a higher level of sophistication,” says Clement D’Souza, Senior Vice President of HCM. “We’ve created this clean and modern look by using new and first-time Civic technologies, which resulted in the most technologically advanced Civic ever, with a refined and innovative design.”
- Inside and out, the all-new Civic is a modern expression of Honda’s human-centred design philosophy
- 2022 Civic Sedan readied for mass production at Honda plant in Alliston, Ontario
- Popular Civic Tour returns for 20th anniversary of the concert series
- More information, specs and assets coming April 28
MARKHAM, ON, April 14, 2021 /CNW/ – Honda offered the first official exterior look at the production 2022 Civic Sedan today as preparations for the start of mass production near completion at Honda of Canada Mfg. in Alliston, Ontario.
Previewed last November with the Civic Prototype, the 2022 Civic Sedan is the most fun to drive and technologically advanced sedan in the model’s nearly 50-year history.
Inspired by the timeless design and human-focused values of past Civics, designers and engineers prioritized Honda’s human-centred design philosophy, which maximizes the total environment for the driver and passengers, while minimizing the space needed for mechanical components. The goal is to increase the driver’s ability to enjoy the car safely. The result is a sporty new look and an all-new simple and sporty interior that advances essential Civic values of uncluttered design, simple ergonomics, and exceptional visibility.
As Honda gears up for Civic’s arrival in dealerships this summer, the Honda Civic Tour returns on April 28. For its 20th anniversary, Civic Tour is going virtual this year, with two tour stops.
The April 28 headline event will be live-streamed on the Live Nation Channel on Twitch and the second stop will be live-streamed on the Honda Stage YouTube channel this summer. Starting at 8 p.m. ET, the April 28 virtual concert event on Twitch will also give Civic Tour fans a special first look at the all-new 2022 Honda Civic Sedan around 9 p.m. ET, leading into the performance.
As previously announced, the all-new Civic Hatchback will follow Civic Sedan production by several months. Details about Civic Hatchback, to be manufactured by Honda in the United States for the first time in its history, will follow later this year. The Civic Hatchback will be built at the company’s Indiana auto plant.
More information about the all-new Civic Sedan, including photography, video, and specifications, will be released on April 28.